Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? is a fast growing performance consultancy founded in 2012 by Olympic Gold medallist Ben Hunt-Davis and Tom Barry, an experienced leadership development specialist.
Our story starts with Ben’s journey to the 2000 Sydney Olympics with the GB Men’s Rowing Eight. Central to their preparation, and turnaround from perennial losers to Gold medal winners, was the way the crew used the simple question “Will it make the boat go faster?” to challenge everything they did.
This incredible story and its strategies became the basis for a memorable keynote speech, a best-selling business book and a range of performance principles and behaviours that drive our high performance programmes, board consultation, workshops, events and leader-led learning products.
You’ll have heard of many of our clients, who range from the largest and most successful multinationals to rapidly growing mid-market companies. We help these organisations, their leaders and teams achieve and sustain their best possible performance. Taking proven Olympic-winning strategies and using them to achieve their highest personal and professional ambitions.
We’re in our 5th year now and have made huge progress, but we want to increase the pace still further, and we’re looking for others to help us.
Your role, reporting to Tom Barry, co-founder of Will It Make The Boat Go Faster?, will be at the heart of our business, winning new clients and expanding existing clients in our target markets. You’ll be responsible for understanding our clients’ business challenges and opportunities, and selling our expanding range of high performance programmes, consulting services and training tools to help them meet their goals. You’ll be helped by a growing recognition of the work we do through Ben’s book, our extensive social marketing and recommendations from existing clients.
Located in the heart of Hammersmith, you should expect regular travel within the UK.
• Achieving annual targets for sales of our range of our high performance programmes, board consultation, workshops and Manger-led learning products.
• Setting a clear sales plan to achieve your target and executing it in line with the Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? development strategy.
• Generating new leads (with support from Marketing) and building relationships in existing and new clients to develop an opportunity pipeline to meet your targets.
• Writing timely, creative and impactful proposals to win new sales and maximise existing client business.
• Collaborating closely with Marketing to meet the requirements of key market segments and clients to maximize our profitable growth – helping create Marketing campaigns to maximize
• Demonstrating an understanding of our clients’ business opportunities and challenges and using a consultative sales approach to become over time a ‘Trusted Advisor’.
• Using a CRM system in a disciplined and timely way to track opportunities and manage commitments to customers, as well as delegating to internal stakeholders.
• Continuously developing your knowledge about our programmes and services, and learning about our clients’ and competitors’ approaches to achieving high performance.
• Sharing best practices and improvements to our processes internally to support one another’s personal development, drive to hit targets and efficiency as a company.
• An ambitious and experienced business developer. You will be a perceptive and consultative salesperson, trusted by your clients to help them solve some of the most exciting and challenging issues that confront their organisations.
• Experience of selling, ideally professional services to Director level in the corporate sector.
• Understands the business development cycle of large sales to multiple influencers.
• A person who listens, understands and reflects on the clients’ issues and then collaborates with our subject experts to propose solutions that may stretch and challenge our clients to truly raise their performance.
• A people person, able to build strong relationships internally and with our Consultants to grow accounts
• Efficient in managing the business development process, from developing your market focus to creatively generating new leads, and maintaining strong and personable relationships with key clients.
• The person will have a ‘growth mindset’ and openly take on feedback to improve their ways of working, as well as providing useful feedback to others in the team.
• A self-driven person who thrives in an exciting, rapidly growing organisation.
• Responds well to strong levels of autonomy and the ability to make a real difference.
• A team player who wants to achieve gold medal performance in their own development and progression.
Working with our internal team and our external consultants, you’ll contribute towards the strategy of the organisation and will have significant responsibility for its growth. You’ll be backed and encouraged to grow and be as comfortable working by yourself as with others. You’ll contribute your ideas and have the freedom to be ambitious and daring – and be expected to improve the business in its sales processes, client support and marketing.
Results-orientated and entrepreneurial, you will determine your own future as part of the company, with potential to progress as the business grows and to be able to increase your earnings accordingly.
• An attractive base salary and uncapped commission with initial potential annual earnings of c. £100,000 -120,000pa.
• A contributory pension scheme and 20 days annual holiday.
• Strong opportunities for career development and progression in a small and growing business.
• Ability to make an impact on the future success of our clients’ businesses, to Will It Make The Boat Go Faster? and to your career.
We would like to recruit the person for this role to start as soon as possible. Phone or face to face interviews and a role play scenario, with final face to face interviews with the team will be the recruitment process.
If you think this role might be for you, please send a short covering letter with your CV. Tell us why you think you’d make a great Business Development Director at Will It Make The Boat Go Faster?
Also, tell us about an organisation you think might benefit from our approach and why.
Please send to Chris Martin, Director: firstname.lastname@example.org